Mike Murphy: “Political conventions are over. Once, they meant something. I’d leap into the most terrifying of time machines to attend an old school political convention with armies of local pols battling it out under a thick cloud of blue tobacco smoke in a stuffy convention hall, while the string-pulling bosses cut pragmatic deals over whiskey and judicial appointments in lavish hotel suites. Those conventions had drama because outcomes were unknown and stakes were high. Today, delegates are bound through the application of TV ad ratings points, not machine deals. They sit in the convention hall like the background actors in a TV show, milling about to the director’s orders, wearing costumes and denied a single line. It seems a shabby ending to a great tradition. It’s time for a mercy killing.”Save to Favorites
You are here: / / Why Do We Still Have Conventions?
- Lobbyist at NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) (Arlington, VA, United States)
- ETL Developer for US Registered Voter List Database at eMerges.com (Annapolis, MD, USA)
- Partnerships Manager at ActBlue (Somerville, Massachusetts, USA)
- Executive Director, Community Outreach Group at Planned Parenthood Federation of America (Washington D.C., DC, USA)
- Data Analyst Fellow, Politics and Advocacy - Full-Time Contract Position at Applecart (New York, NY, USA)
- Lead Data Engineer at Applecart (New York, NY, USA)
- Politics and Advocacy Analyst at Applecart (New York, NY, USA)
- Director of Research and Insights, Politics and Advocacy at Applecart (New York, NY, USA)
Click here for an interactive version.
Most Popular Recent Posts
- Trump Campaign Now Worried About Red State Deaths
- ‘He Is Scared Right Now’
- 'It's Not Like You Had to Go to the Kennedy School'
- Nunes Says Closing Schools Is Overkill
- Postal Service Could Shut Down by June
- Trump Warns of ‘Very, Very Painful’ Two Weeks
- Chris Cuomo Tests Positive
- Sportscaster Mike Francesa Turns On Trump
- Biden Leads Trump Nationally
- McConnell Blames Impeachment for Slow Pandemic Action