Jack Shafer: “But at some point—early adulthood—the general immunity from critical coverage needs to end. The threshold for newsworthiness recedes, and the children of presidents become more like the siblings, cousins, uncles and parents of presidents. In other words, if one of President Obama’s daughters got busted for drunk driving, few would expect saturation coverage from the press. But, say, had Obama’s Boston aunt gotten arrested for drunk driving before she died in 2014, there would have been no reason for the press to turn a blind eye. Chelsea Clinton should be treated no more royally than the Nixon daughters, Susan Ford, Amy Carter, the Gore children, or the Bush and Reagan progeny.”Save to Favorites
You are here: / / Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
Click here for an interactive version.
Most Popular Recent Posts
- Trump's Company Ordered to Pay Legal Bills
- Trump Advisers Explore 15% Tax Rate for Middle Class
- 100 House Republicans Gone
- Fox News Analyst Questions Trump’s Fitness for Office
- GOP Outlines Impeachment Defense In Memo
- Trump Jr. Storms Out of Book Event
- Trump Falsely Claims 'Doctored Transcripts'
- EPA to Limit Science Used In Public Health Rules
- Stephen Miller Is Getting Married
- McConnell Gives Up on Bevin