George Packer: “The corruption I mean has less to do with individual perfidy than institutional depravity. It isn’t an occasional failure to uphold norms, but a consistent repudiation of them. It isn’t about dirty money so much as the pursuit and abuse of power—power as an end in itself, justifying almost any means. Political corruption usually trails financial scandals in its wake—the foam is scummy with self-dealing—but it’s far more dangerous than graft. There are legal remedies for Duncan Hunter, the defeated representative from California, who will stand trial next year for using campaign funds to pay for family luxuries. But there’s no obvious remedy for what the state legislatures of Wisconsin and Michigan, following the example of North Carolina in 2016, are now doing.”Save to Favorites
You are here: / / The Corruption of the Republican Party
Click here for an interactive version.
Most Popular Recent Posts
- Ivanka's Vacation Photos Don't Go Over Well
- Conway Hits White House Staff Who 'Work for a Rapist'
- Advertisers Continue to Flee Tucker Carlson's Show
- Congressman Ducks Questions About Resigning
- New Poll Suggests Arizona Is In Play
- GOP Senator Says Buying Greenland Was His Idea
- Justice Department Sent Racist Link to Immigration Judges
- House GOP Embraces Trump's Greenland Idea
- Trump Frustrated by His Unpopularity With Jews
- Just 36% Approve of Trump