First Read has the “indisputable” facts on the Russia investigation:
- Trump and his campaign asked for Russia’s help in the 2016 presidential race.
- Trump and his campaign got that help — in a contest decided by fewer than 80,000 votes in three states.
- Roger Stone lied about his contacts with Russian intelligence and WikiLeaks.
- The president commuted Stone’s prison sentence, despite White House aides disagreeing with the move.
- And Stone admitted his objective was protecting Trump.
“Yes, some of the liberal theories about Russia investigation never came to pass (Michael Cohen didn’t travel to Prague; that ‘pee tape’ appears to be fantasy).”
“And, yes, Mueller concluded that his investigation didn’t establish ‘that that members of the Trump Campaign conspired or coordinated with the Russian government in its election interference activities.’ (Though note he said ‘Russian government’ and not intermediaries like WikiLeaks.)”
“But what did happen was a bigger scandal — involving a foreign adversary — than we can remember for any recent administration or major presidential campaign.”