Charlie Sykes reviews Nikki Haley’s political judgement so far this year as she positions herself for a presidential run:
- She’s broken with Trump over his handling of the Capitol riot.
- She walked that back, declaring “Give the man a break!”
- She broke with Trump again, telling Tim Alberta that “He went down a path he shouldn’t have, and we shouldn’t have followed him, and we shouldn’t have listened to him. And we can’t let that ever happen again.”
- She walked that back, with an op-ed piece in the Wall Street Journal, in which she gushed about Trump’s extraordinary successes and blamed the “liberal media” for wanting “to stoke a nonstop Republican civil war.”
- She tried to follow that up with a pilgrimage to Mar-a-Lago, which Trump declined.